Give the Gift of Experience in Des Moines, Iowa
‘Tis the season for giving and receiving. I know having two children, we get a lot of stuff this time of year. Toys are great, but sometimes when it is too much, it easily gets forgotten about and not put to the greatest use. When friends and family ask what you or your children want this year, why not ask for something that you can experience and remember forever? I have created some great ideas, specifically for Des Moines (support local friends!) of what you and your family could include on your Christmas lists this year.
The Gift of Experience Guide is sponsored by Trixie’s Salon.
This may be more towards the moms out there, but dads would highly enjoy pampering too! There are several salons and spas in the area where you can purchase packages to give to your loved ones. Everyone deserves a little self-love.
- Trixie’s Salon
- Looking for a new hairstyle? This is not your typical place to get your haircut. Enjoy your hair appointment while receiving a soothing hand massage or hydrating eye treatment. They offer so many amazing services on top of the hair. Purchase a gift certificate and a unique gift from their boutique shop to go with.
- Save the date for two open houses on December 4, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and December 10, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Coachlight Clinic & Spa
- Enjoy a massage and their amazing spa amenities before your appointment.
- East Village Spa
Asking for a membership to one of the places listed below is such a great idea. These memberships can be used multiple times, all year round and you savwill e so much money!
- Blank Park Zoo
- Climb Iowa
- Whether you purchase a membership, punch card, or a couple of day passes, this is a great gift to give. Maybe a close friend or family member has always wanted to try rock climbing. Give them the chance to experience it for Christmas.
- Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
- Living History Farms
- Reiman Gardens
- Great places to experience the outdoors, inside when it is nasty out or anytime! They offer fun events and classes throughout the year.
- Science Center of Iowa
- Urbandale Indoor Swimming Pool
Gift Cards + Passes
Winter is rolling around and after the holidays are over, I promise you, it will be cold and snowy. You will want to get OUT and have your children burn off some energy. These places are great options to ask for gift cards and/or passes. Use them during Winter Break or a rainy day this Summer.
- B & B Ankeny 12 & B-Roll Bowling
- We love to attend movies at B & B Ankeny because of their fun arcade, bowling, and the ScreenPlay theatre. The ScreenPlay theatre allows children to play before the movie begins.
- Brenton Skating Plaza
- Center Grove Orchard
- One of our favorite places to play in the Fall. Purchase a day pass or season membership to play.
- Des Moines Children’s Museum
- Flix Brewhouse
- We tend to visit Flix quite often when fun kids/family movies are released. We love going on Saturday mornings when they offer breakfast. It’s a fun experience for everyone. Do you know there is a movie you all want to see, being released this upcoming year? Ask for a gift card!
- Gameday is a sports bar, but they offer a fun arcade. Have a fun family outing for lunch or dinner and play some fun games together!
- Get Air Des Moines
- Howell’s Greenhouse and Pumpkin Patch
- Howell’s offers a ton of activities in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Play in their kid’s area, cuddle or feed goats.
- Kids Warrior Gym
- Playground For Kids
- Pump it Up Urbandale
- Seven Oaks Recreation
- Do your children love to snowboard, ski, or tube? Check out purchasing a membership to use at these sports parks during the winter months. Don’t forget they offer tons for the Summer months too!
- Sky Zone Indoor Trampoline Park
- Sleepy Hollow Sports Park
- The Operating Room Arcade
- The Operating Room offers arcade games and pinball machines. Although a bar setting, they do offer times where all ages can come and play. Or make it a date night.
- Urban Air Ankeny
- Val Lanes
- Warrior Lanes
- Date Night
- I know when it comes to date nights, it can be super hard when you have children. We always make plans to do something once a month or twice a month, but we decide we do not want to spend the money or we do not have time. Ask family and friends to get you gift cards to a new restaurant (there are tons opening up around here) or a favorite restaurant you both enjoy.
Do you have a child who is interested in trying out a new extracurricular activity or you just have not had the chance to go check out a class? Have someone buy you a gift card to somewhere you are wanting to begin classes. This is a great idea to try it out and see if you like it! Or if you or your children are already involved in an extracurricular activity, see if they offer gift cards/certificates. This may be a great way to save some money on a monthly expense.
- Fitness Classes
- There are several places in Des Moines that offer punch cards and/or gift cards. Have you been wanting to try Zumba or yoga? Perfect timing!
- Goldfish Swim School
- One of our favorite places for swim lessons.
- Jester Park Equestrian Center
- Are you interested in horseback riding or maybe your kiddos are? This is the perfect place to take lessons!
- Martial Arts
- Pied Piper Studios
- Pied Piper Studios offers tons of fun workshops and classes, including our favorite Kindermusik.
- Tumbling & Dance
There always seems to be a show, concert, play, etc. that comes to town, but we never want to spend the money. If you know your favorite artist is coming or an awesome play will be showing, ask for tickets. Don’t forget about sporting events too!
- Des Moines Community Playhouse
- Des Moines Performing Arts
- Hoyt Sherman
- Iowa Events Center
- Stephen’s Auditorium
Build Something – Get Creative
- AR Workshop
- Glazed Expressions
- The Knotty Nail
- Create an Art Supply Basket
- Yes, I know this is considered actual STUFF, BUT we all know how much art supplies our children fly through. Create a huge basket filled with coloring books, glue, stickers, crayons, paints, markers, etc. Maybe, even buy specific items to create a special project that you have been eyeing on Pinterest. This is also a great idea for the teachers in your life.
- Subscription Boxes. Yes, again, more stuff, but this is a great way to try new things. There are tons of options out there. Check out my Subscription Addiction. They have them broken down into categories such as for children, men, and women.
Weekend getaways are always fun for the entire family! Look into these local or nearby locations, to see if they offer gift cards or plan the trip and create your own fun gift certificate. It could be as simple as a weekend getaway or a grand trip to Disney. Also, if you are already planning a fun trip for this upcoming year, tell friends and family you would like gift cards to go towards your trip expenses.
- Adventureland Inn
- Dubuque, Iowa
- Great Wolf Lodge
- Kansas City
- Mall of America
- Omaha, Nebraska
- Iowa Children’s Museum