Des Moines Spraygrounds and Pools Open in 2020
It is not our usual summer in Des Moines, Iowa. Up until today a lot of families thought there would be very little water fun this summer. Fortunately, Des Moines Parks & Recreation made an updated announcement that a handful of spraygrounds WILL open for the season. We have gathered a list of spraygrounds and pools open this summer in the Des Moines metro area.
Note: We will be keeping a close eye on future announcements and will update this post frequently to reflect openings.
- Recreational swim will be held seven days a week, from noon-5PM.
- In regards to the pandemic and doing our part to mitigate the virus, there will be many changes this summer:
- No lounge chairs will be available. Please bring your own pool chair and practice social distancing with anyone outside of your group.
- Due to social distancing requirements, the slides will be closed.
- Daily passes will be available for purchase. However, you will need to bring identification of residency on your first visit.
- No spray features.
- Concession Stand will be closed, however, coolers will be allowed. *No glass of any kind.
- No private rentals.
- Cloth masks are encouraged on the deck, but not required. No masks are allowed in or around the water.
- No outside inflatable toys. Small pool toys are allowed (ex. diving rings).
- There will be a limited capacity due to following social distancing practices. This will depend on how many people are in the water vs. on the deck.
Cascade Falls Aquatic Center – Opens June 29 with restrictions
Rules + Regulations:
- Admission will be open only to Ankeny residents, with the exception of families of students who are open enrolled in Ankeny public and private schools. Due to COVID-19, the aquatic center will open with modifications that will limit capacity as well as amenities.
- The admission price will be $4 per session for anyone entering the facility. Two, 3-hour sessions will be offered each day for open swim. Patrons must reserve a session online and payment is required.
- The tube slides, swirl bowl slide and basketball hoop in the lap pool will be closed. There will be no lounge chairs or tubes available. The lazy river will be utilized for water walking only.
Daily Open Swim Sessions (weather and staff permitting)
Noon – 3 p.m. and 3:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Various spraygrounds are open now through September 30, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Please click each sprayground for details about each one.
- Columbus Park Sprayground
- Evelyn K Davis Park Sprayground
- Fairmont Park Sprayground
- Good Park Sprayground
- Grandview Park Sprayground
- Greenwood Park Sprayground
- McHenry Park Sprayground
- Sargent Park Sprayground
- Woodlawn Park Sprayground
- Tower Park Sprayground
- Sheridan Park Sprayground
Two Des Moines Parks & Recreation pools are open for the season. Both open on July 6. Click each pool to learn more about the pool.
The Natural Playscape located in Jester Park in Granger, Iowa offers a small area for kids to splash, play and cool off.
Fox Creek Splash Pad – Opens June 24 at 10 a.m.
Splash and play at the new Fox Creek Splash Pad located in Waukee, Iowa.
Hours: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily
West Des Moines
Legion Park Sprayground – Opens June 25
Legion Park is located near Valley Junction is Wes Dest Moines, Iowa
Hours: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily