After hearing my wife tell me how cool American Legion Park, one of West Des Moines oldest parks, for the past couple of weeks, I finally decided to take the kiddos there. I hadn’t been to the park for at least 10 years and I was impressed by what I saw, compared to what I remembered. New for this year the park has a spray ground, which the kids loved! On top of that they had some very unique playground equipment you don’t see everywhere. I definitely recommend checking it out if you are in the West Des Moines area. American Legion Park is located at the corner of 4th Street and Vine Street on the east side of the city. Click here for directions.
- Large accessible playground for children of all ages
- Open playfield for soccer or field games
- Softball field
- Spray ground
- Open Daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day, 11AM to 7PM, weather permitting
- To conserve water, the sprays are activated by users during open hours. There is a button that activates the sprays in 10-minute intervals.
- Horseshoe courts
- Basketball court
- Tennis court
- 6 Foot Half-pipe skate structure