American Legion Park – A West Des Moines Favorite
American Legion Park is one of West Des Moines’ oldest parks. A big draw to this city park is the fun splash pad and sprayground, but they also have some very unique playground equipment you don’t see everywhere. I definitely recommend checking it out if you are in the West Des Moines area.
Looking for other splash pads, wading pools, and sprayrounds in Des Moines? Check out our giant guide!
American Legion Park is located at the corner of 4th Street and Vine Street on the east side of the city.
Basic Park Details
Type: Places to play and places to get wet
Shade: Yes, shaded shelter and partially shaded playground
Water: Yes, sprayground
Official Website: http://www.wdm.iowa.gov/Home/Components/FacilityDirectory/FacilityDirectory/8/1433
- Large accessible playground for children of all ages
- The open playfield for soccer or field games
- Softball fields and Baseball fields
- Splash Pad/ Sprayground
- Open daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m, weather permitting
- To conserve water, the sprays are activated by users during open hours. There is a button that activates the sprays in 10-minute intervals.
- Horseshoe courts
- Basketball courts
- Tennis court
- 6 Foot Half-pipe skate structure
- Picnic area
- BONUS! Visit on a Thursday evening in the Summer and enjoy the Historic Valley Junction Farmer’s Market.