Kid’s Guide to the Des Moines Arts Festival
One of our favorite central Iowa festivals is the Des Moines Arts Festival. It is free to attend and there is a ton offered for all ages. Here is a kid’s guide to the Des Moines Arts Festival this summer in Western Gateway Park.
Friday, June 28; 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday, June 29; 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sunday, June 30; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The schedule + interactive activities
You can find the complete schedule online. You can find everything from live music, special events and more.
Below is a small list of kids activities being offered by local businesses and organizations, some are located in the Creative Family Zone. Some are free and some may ask for a small fee or donation.
- BOOM ART! an Interactive Mural Project suspended 30 feet high from the all-new MidAmerican Energy all-electric bucket truck.
- Screen Print with Artforce Iowa
- The Knotty Nail – hammer, nails, and string!
- Create spin art with Prairie Meadows and the Altoona Lions Club.
- Create your own cat, dog or rabbit mask with the ARL.
- Make a seed ball with the Blank Park Zoo.
- Be artistic and paint an uplifting message on a rock with Boy 2 Men Youth Programs.
- Sketch and transfer on to foam board and more with Catholic Schools Diocese of Des Moines.
- Create your own necklace from different sizes of metal washers and leather cords with Community Support Advocates, Inc.
- Create your own little broom with Des Moines European Heritage Association to hang in your room or on your Christmas tree.
- Create and decorate your own 3D version of a home with EveryStep.
- Make homemade hair ribbons, a stretch band maze, Hulu hoops and more with the Iowa Dance Theatre.
- Make your own egg shaker with Iowa Music Educators Association.
- Ge creative using upcycled t-shirts to create headbands, bracelets, and necklaces with the Pancreative Cancer Action Network.
- And much more!
Events of Interest
Des Moines Community Playhouse presents Disney’s Newsies; Saturday, June 29 at 11 a.m.
- Girls Rock! Des Moines; Sunday, June 30 at 11:30 a.m.
Other activities + events your kiddos will love
- Live music! There is a lot of open green space. Find a place to relax and enjoy one of the many artists lined -up to perform. The kids will love to dance and run.
- Let the children run through and explore the John & Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park.
- Eat food. The Des Moines Arts Festival is a great place to enjoy delicious, local food.
Some tips to make your life a bit easier with kids
- Bring cash. Some food vendors and shops may accept cards, but not all. There are different ATM locations available.
- If you are bringing a stroller, throw a large blanket and/or foldable chair for sitting & listening to the live music.
- Bring water bottles & snacks! There are food vendors, but you may want to eat one big meal.
- Bring a swimsuit and extra change of clothes. There is a fun area to play and get wet. A great place to cool off in the heat of the Summer.