Climbing and Water Fun at Waterworks Park in Grimes, Iowa
There has been a lot of growth and new things popping up in Grimes, Iowa including a NEW splash pad in Waterworks Park. This entire area is a beautiful area full of climbing opportunities, water fun, slides, a beautiful art sculpture, and more. The 8.5-acre park is one of the first parks created in Grimes. It was due for an upgrade! The new splash pad and playground are located just east of the older playground which is still available to use. The day we made our visit it was very busy, so if you are looking for a quieter spot to calm down head over to the older playground which offers a ton of fun too!
Take a look at our giant roundup of splash pads, wading pools, and spraygrounds in the Des Moines metro area.
Waterworks Park and Splash Pad is located at 100 N James Street right next to the old Grimes Library. It is located North of Highway 44.
Basic Park Details
Type: Places to play, places to get wet, places to walk
Bathrooms: Yes, modern restrooms with showers
Shade: There is not much shade in the area. The majority shade is located under the large open shelter.
Playground: Large playground several climbing structures, and “nature” themed items throughout the park.
Trails: There are paved sidewalks throughout and one that leads out to a neighborhood.
Water: Drinking fountains and water bottle filling stations are available.
Official website: https://grimesiowa.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/Waterworks-Park-14
- Open-air shelter. No details are available yet on how to rent.
- Several chairs and tables are located under the shelter.
- Parking Lot with a circle drive.
Rubber tile surfacing below the main playground.
- Turf in various areas including a large hill where kids like to hang out.
- There is sand around the large art sculpture.
- Few benches or large sitting rocks to sit on around the park area.
- Fun interactive portions on the playground.
Other Places to Visit in Grimes, Iowa
Taking a trip to Grimes, Iowa? Take a look at these other fun posts to help plan your visit:
- 20+ Things to See and Do in Grimes, Iowa
- Play, Learn, and Read at the Grimes Public Library
- Kennybrook South Park
- 10 Things To Do at Jester Park in Granger
- Des Moines Parent Event Calendar – Events and programming are also included here!