Listening to music outdoors, in the Summer time is THE best! Isn’t it? There are some great opportunities to get out and listen to music, in central Iowa. If you have any other outdoor music events to add, make sure you let me know!
Familie are welcome to enjoy some FREE music in Altoona on Friday nights from 6 to 9 p.m. The concerts are at the Civic Plaza next to Hy-Vee. Bring lawn chairs and blankets to sit on. Food and drink items are available for purchase from several local vendors.
- May 26: Faculty Lounge
- June 30: Jordan Beem and Drew Kearney
- July 28: The Sheet
- August 25: Jason Brown
The Summer Sounds Concert Series is held on Thursday nights at the Band Shell in Wagner Park. Live music will run from 7 – 8:30 p.m. The concerts are free and open to the public; bring lawn chairs and blankets for seating.
- June 15: Roundabout
- June 22: Elegant Gypsy
- July 20: Ankeny Community Chorus and Band
- July 27: Jazz in July presents the Betsy Hickok Quartet
Enjoy the parks, live music and vendors at Campbell Recreational Area in Clive. This is a great place for families to unwind after a long work week.
- May 12: Brad Seidenfeld
- May 19: Chasing Chaos
- May 26: Brian Congdon
- June 2: Keifer Brandt
- June 9: Josh Sinclair
- June 16: SUEDE
Des Moines: First Fridays
During the same months, enjoy First Fridays at the Art Center with some of the best musicians in town. Complimentary light-bites, cash bar, and world-class art and music.
5 p.m. – 7:30 p.m./ Art Center courtyard. Admission: $5 / Members: FREE!
- July 7th: Max Wellman
- August 4th: Los Saltinos
Concerts begin at 7 p.m. on the west Capitol grounds. FREE admission.
FREE parking is available in the adjacent state lots.
Rain location: Harmon Fine Arts Center, Drake University, 25th & Carpenter.
Concert dates, every Sunday starting June 11th – July 16th. Take a look at site for updated information.
Concerts begin at 7:00 pm, unless otherwise noted. Bring a lawn chair, bring your friends, and we’ll see you at the park! Roosevelt Park is an alcohol- and tobacco-free park, in compliance with City of Ames ordinances.
Concerts will be held every Sunday beginning June 4th until August 20th. Take a look at updated details here.
2400 George Flagg Parkway, Des Moines. Just West of Gray’s Lake.
Every Thursday evening 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Admission is FREE!
All shows outside. Weather permitting. Otherwise in the outdoor party tent.
Bring blankets and lawn chairs for outside seating, Play lawn games including bags and ball. Burgers and brats will be available from the grill. Alcoholic drinks must be purchased on-site (Jasper Winery’s wine is AWESOME!). Sometimes Gusto makes an appearance and Chocolaterie Stam with delish gelato!
- May 11- Adé & The Soul Brothers
- May 18- Brazilian 2wins
- May 25- Brother Trucker
- June 1- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- June 8- Damon Dotson Band
- June 15- Decoy
- June 22- The Maytags
- June 29- The Nadas
- July 6- Dueling Guitars feat. Brian Congdon
- July 13- Flipside AKA (Write) Back At ‘Cha
- July 20- Pianopalooza Band
- July 27- Dazy Head Mazy
- August 3- Final Mix
Located at Brenton Skating Plaza or Simon Estes Amphitheater.
Tickets vary in price for each show. Check here for prices and to order.
You may bring blankets & lawn chairs.
Do NOT bring outside drinks or food.
- May 18th – Chase Rice/Jameson Rodgers
- May 25th – Everclear/Veritical Horizon/Fastball
- May 26th – Hairball/Decoy
- June 3rd – Euforquestra/The Maytags/Mr. Baber’s Neighbors
- June 8th – Cody Jinks/Ward Davis
- June 9th – Turnpike Troubadours/Charley Crockett
- June 10th – The Nadas/Tom Fuller Band
- June 14th – Drive-By Truckers/Pokey Lafarge
- July 7th – The Band Perry
- July 22nd – Aaron Watson
- July 22nd – Phillip Phillips
- August 17th – Gov’t Mule/Galactic
- August 20th – Michael Franti
- August 26th – Blue October/Bonne Finken
- September 15th – Dirty Rotten Scoundrels & The Pork Tornadoes/Pianopalooza
Located at Blank Park Zoo!
Every Wednesday in June, July & August; 5:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Free for zoo member. Regular admission for non-members.
In the summer months, Blank Park Zoo welcomes guests (21+) to enjoy their Wednesday nights with music, food,brews, and of course, the exotic animals of the Zoo!
- June 7th – Zoo Brew Kick Off; Pianopalooza
- June 14th – Spirit of Des Moines; The Sheet
- June 21st – Uncorked; Heath Alan Band
- June 28th – 60’s; Rocky Raccoon
- July 5th – Red, White & Brew; Trio Aceto
- July 12th – Strut Your Stripes; Toaster
- July 19th – Iowa Brew Night; Decoy
- July 26th – Christmas in July; The Array
- August 2nd – Tailgate; Plastic Apartment
- August 9th – Around the World; Riddle Me This
- August 16th – Country Night; Jesse Allen
- August 23rd – Brew Mania; The Maytags
- August 30th – Zoo Brew Finale; Standing Hampton
Jazz in July is an annual music festival that happens every July in Des Moines. Enjoy concerts in neighborhoods and parks throughout Greater Des Moines. Jazz in July concerts are presented by Metro Arts Alliance. Each concert also features food vendors and children’s activities.
- July 4: Christopher’s Very Happy.Band. at Urbandale Lion’s Park, Urbandale
- July 5: Lunchtime Series Concert at Cowles Commons, Des Moines
- July 6: Rose Colella “Cocktail” at Terrace Hill, Des Moines
- July 7: Dave Razek’s Alpha State Agents at the Bondurant Trailhead, Bondurant
- July 8: Parranderos Latin Combo at Mound Park, Dallas Center
- July 9: Freddy Gazzo Band at Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, Des Moines
- July 12: Lunchtime Series Concert at Banker’s Trust, West Des Moines
- July 13: High Society Big Band at Wesley Acres, Des Moines
- July 14: Scott Davis Quartet at Evelyn K Davis Park, Des Moines
- July 15: The NOLA Jazz Band at 6th Avenue Corridor, Des Moines
- July 16: Bryan Schumacker Quintet at Metro Arts Alliance, Des Moines
- July 19: Lunchtime Series Concert at Cowles Commons, Des Moines
- July 20: Foxtrot Hot Shots at Hoyt Sherman, Des Moines
- July 21: John Morgan Orchestra at Drake University, Des Moines
- July 22: The Tighten Up at Waveland Golf Course, Des Moines
- July 26: Lunchtime Series Concert at Cowles Commons, Des Moines
- July 27: Betsy Hickok Quartet at Wagner Park Bandshell, Ankeny
- July 28: Max Wellman 7 at Copper Creek Lake, Pleasant Hill
- July 29: Jazz in July Finate at Valley Junction, West Des Moines
Located at Memorial Park in Indianola, live music will happen three times this summer. Music starts at 6 p.m. until 9 p.m.
- June 2: Monday Mourners
- June 23: Standing Hampton
- July 14: Final Mix
15101 Fairfax Street, Indianola
Every Sunday 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
$5 per person or $15 per car load.
Every Sunday, wine and music lovers can enjoy some of the best bands in the Midwest right here in their own backyard (but you’ll feel like you’re on vacation!). Rain or shine the music goes on. Weather permitting, the bands will perform outside but in the winter or on rainy days we bring the music inside. Prairie Massage will also be on hand to help you relax!
- April 2- Fat Tuesday Trio
- April 9- Riddle Me This Trio
- April 16-Tony Valdez Duo (Adult Easter Egg Hunt) –NOT Tony Valdez & The Retro Rockets as listed in the newsletter
- April 23- Soul Searchers
- April 30- Mill Street Band
- May 7- Bob Pace Band
- May 14 – Tony Valdez and the Retro Rockets (Mother’s Day, Mom’s get in Free!)
- May 21- Heath Alan Band
- May 28- Sons of Gladys Kravitz Band (Memorial Day weekend)
- June 4- Get Off My Lawn
- June 11- Hot Tamale & the Red Hots
- June 18- Bob Pace Band (Father’s Day- Dad’s get in Free!)
- June 25- Freestyle
- July 2- Tony Valdez and the Big Band (4th of July weekend)
Enjoy sounds of local musicians at the historic Camp Dodge Pool Complex Thursday evenings. Bring a lawn chair, picnic basket, sit back and enjoy! Concessions are also available. All concerts start at 7 p.m.
May 25: Bob Dorr and the Blue Band
June 1: Brother Trucker
June 8: Bob Tyler and The Reckless Hearts
June 22: Abby Normal Band
June 29: The Candymakers
July 6: 34th Army Band Sidewinders
July 13: Bonne Finken
West Des Moines
Music in the Junction is held every Thursday in Valley Junction! Enjoy the farmers’ market while listening to live music from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Music starts at 6 p.m. Farmers’ Market runs starts at 4 p.m. until 8 p.m.
- May 4: Rocky Raccoon
- May 11: Randy Burk & the Prisoners
- May 18: Sumpin’ Doo
- May 25: Fahrenheit
- June 1: Decoy
- June 8: The Blue Band
- June 15: Abby Normal
- June 22: Ctrl C
- June 29: Toaster
- July 6: The Tighten Up
- July 13: Hound Dog Shy
- July 20: ColorLifeIA
- July 27: Final Mix
- August 3: Jimmy the Weasel
- August 10: Monday Mourners
- August 17: Boomerang
- August 24: Boot Gypsy
- August 31: Kat’s Garden
- September 7: Sons of Gladys Kravitz
- September 14: Gimikk
- September 21: NOLA Jazz Band
- September 28: Tony Valdez Large Band
Enjoy FREE live music at the Jordan Creek Town Center Amphitheater on Sundays July 2nd through September 3rd from 5 to 8 p.m.
- July 2: Decoy
- July 9: Final Mix
- July 16: Gimikk
- July 23: Flipside aka (Write) Back At ‘Cha
- July 30: Tony Valdez Large Band
- August 6: Boomerang
- August 13: Mason’s Basement
- August 20: Tony Valdez Retro Rockets
- August 27: Flipside aka (Write) Back At ‘Cha
- September 3: Piano Palooza featuring tony Bohnekamp and Jerry Lorenson
Enjoy live music outdoors at Colby Park. There will be food trucks and local vendors. The concerts are free and the Windsor Heights Lions Club will serve free snow cones and the Windsor Heights Foundation will be popping fresh popcorn. Concerts start at 7 p.m.
- June 13: Bob Dorr
- June 20: Max Wellman
- June 27: Hold On
- July 11: Scott Davis
- July 18: Jimmy the Weasel
- July 25: Broken Keys
- August 1: Des Moines Community Band
- August 8: TBD