Outdoor Storytime in Des Moines 2021
The weather is warming up and there are several chances to enjoy outdoor storytime in Des Moines this summer. Bring a blanket, grab lunch, and enjoy storytime outdoors. All of these dates and times are also listed on our event calendar.
FAIRYTALE TIME IN THE PARK
10:30 to 11:15 a.m.
Dates + locations listed below
Come experience your neighborhood park and join the West Des Moines Parks and Recreation staff for a story and a craft. Bring a blanket and a friend! All ages. FREE.
- 6/4 Pearson Park
- 6/11 Quail Cove Park
- 6/18 Ashawa Park
- 6/25 Huston Ridge Park
- 7/2 Wild Rose Park
- 7/9 Meadow View Park
- 7/16 Kiwanis Park
- 7/23 Jaycee Park
- 7/30 Fairmeadows Park
STORYHOUSE BOOK PUB
Storyhouse Book Pub is offering several outdoor storytime opportunities this spring + summer. Make sure you are following their Facebook page for specific details here.
- Storyhouse Open-Air Bookshop + Storytime – May 8 – Storytime at 11 a.m.
- Storytime in the Garden with Sweet Tooth Farm – May 20 – 4 to 5 p.m.
- Storyhouse Open-Air Bookshop + Storytime – June 12 – Storytime at 11 a.m.
- Storytime in the Garden with Sweet Tooth Farm – June 24 – 4 to 5 p.m.
- Storyhouse Open-Air Bookshop + Storytime – July 10 – Storytime at 11 a.m.
- Storytime in the Garden with Sweet Tooth Farm – July 22 – 4 to 5 p.m.
STORIES IN THE PARK
Clive Parks & Recreation is going to go to parks all around Clive this summer! Join them for a storytime and participate in a fun activity provided by the Parks and Recreation department. For more information, contact Dee at email@example.com. Registration is required.
- Tuesdays, June 1, June 29, August 3 at Campbell Park
- Tuesdays, June 8, July 13, August 10 at Country Club Glen
- Tuesdays, June 15, July 20 at Porter Greenbelt
- Tuesdays, June 22, July 27 at Linnan Park
STORY TIME IN THE PARK
Tuesday’s; May 4 – May 26
10:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Raccoon River Park
Come enjoy a nature story or two and a kid-friendly craft. You will find some shade near or in the Biddle Shelter at Raccoon River Park. Bring a blanket, and dress for the weather. All ages. FREE!
Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. and Thursday evening at 6:30 p.m.
The Parks and Rec department and the Urbandale library have partnered together to bring you Storytime! Come enjoy stories, songs, rhymes, and other activities that delight and entertain as well as encourage the love of reading. Storytime will happen each Tuesday morning at 10:00 am and Thursday evening at 6:30 p.m. at a different park each week. Try to visit all 9! No registration required. FREE!
- June 15 + June 17 at Charles Gabus Memorial Tree Park Shelter
- June 22 + June 24 at Lions Park Gazebo
- June 29 + July 1 at Bishop Shelter, Jackaline Baldwin Dunlap Park
- July 6 + July 8 at Giovannetti Community Shelter Patio
- July 13 + July 15 at Lakeview Park Open Shelter
- July 20 + July 22 at Jeff Harm Park – meet at sidewalk of playground
- July 27 + July 29 at Walnut Creek Regional Park Open Shelter
- August 3 + 5 at Rocklyn Park Open Shelter
- August 10 + 12 at Hallbrook Park Open Shelter
May 1 – May 31
Get outside and stretch your legs and mind with fun stories you’ll love! This month’s story will be along the half-mile trail at the Indianola Activity Center. The story starts at the patio east of the building.
June 1 – June 30
Get outside and stretch your legs and mind with fun stories you’ll love! This month’s story will be along paths at Sesquicentennial Park next to Indianola’s City Hall.
Select Thursday’s; June 17 + July 1, 15, 29 + August 12
10:45 to 11:30 a.m.
Clive Aquatic Center
The library and the aquatic center have teamed up to bring you cool summer fun! They will be offering a discounted admittance for storytime attendees. Each child and adult pair get in for $7, $3 for an additional child unless the child is 2 and under (2 and under are free).
No more than 2 children per guardian. Payment will be taken when the aquatic center opens that day. If you are just coming for the storytime and a short swim (10:45–11:30 a.m.), admittance is free. You might even have a mermaid sighting. For more information, contact Dee at firstname.lastname@example.org or Brian email@example.com