Kansas City Hidden Gems
It is officially summer in the Midwest! Which means time to jump in the car and do some exploring. Our family loves to go on road trips and one of our favorite places to visit is Kansas City. Kansas City is approximately 3 hours south from Des Moines. It is an easy destination to plan a long weekend or an entire week vacation from home.
- Puppetry Art Institute: The Institute includes a research library, puppet performance, and workshop areas.
- Self-guided fountains tour: Many are familiar with Crown Centers fun fountains, but did you know that Kansas City has more than 200 fountains in the city?! That is more than any other city except Seville, Spain.
- Powell Gardens: A non-profit botanical garden set on 970 acres of rolling hills and windswept meadows. They have beautiful garden displays, exhibits, and events.
- West Bottoms: Looking for food trucks, shopping, and entertainment? This is the place to be!
- National Airline History Museum: A fun place to explore for any plane loving child or adult.
- Children’s Peace Pavillion: The museum houses more than 25 interactive exhibits that engage visitors in learning a variety of life skills, such as dealing with strong emotions, conflict resolution, understanding diversity, and environmental sustainability.
- The City Market: One of the largest farmers’ market in the region. The market runs from April through October.
- Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead: Bottle feed goats fish with cane poles and worms, ride in a horse-drawn carriage and much more. Free admission Monday – Thursday 2 p.m. to close. Weekends and holidays are $2 per person. Open April through October.
- Kaleidoscope: Be creative and have fun! Children are invited to use their imaginations to make art with materials from Hallmark’s manufacturing processes. And it is free!
- Penguin Park: A fun park including a 26-foot kangaroo slide and a 23-foot penguin to play inside.
Cap off your work week with top local bands and favorite food trucks. Shop the wares of artisans and finish the evening off with a famous flick under the stars. Festivities begin at 6 p.m. movie at 9 p.m. FREE. Every Friday in July and Aug.
The aviator’s hometown celebrates her legacy with aviation displays, aerobatic performances, and live concerts.
Kansas City’s Big Picnic
In partnership with Kansas City Parks & Recreation. All activities and performances are FREE and ongoing 4-8 p.m. unless noted. Held at The Donald J. Hall Sculpture Park at The Nelson-Atkins Museum.
This citywide festival is packed with live performances—ranging from theatre and dance to film and fashion.
Launched by Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in 2013, this annual hot dog festival celebrates the historical connection between the nation’s pastime and the fan’s favorite, a hot dog. It showcases legendary hot dogs from ballparks across the country.
One of the largest of its kind in the Midwest, this festival features food and culture from nearly 50 countries.
Nicknamed the “World Series of BBQ,” this competition features more than 500 teams and is largest barbecue contest in the planet.
Aug. 31 – Sept. 2
Go green on Labor Day weekend and celebrate KC’s deep Irish roots at one of the nation’s largest Irish festivals.
Aug. 31 – Sept. 3
Independence, Mo., celebrates its trails heritage with this free, four-day street festival.
Sept. 1-Oct. 14 (weekends)
A 16th-century English marketplace comes to life for seven weekends amid a beautiful wooded setting.
KC’s most historic neighborhood is the canvas for this annual art fair, exclusively featuring the work of local artists.
This three-day, three-night festival in Berkley Riverfront Park will feature national acts and on-site camping.
We want to make sure you make it to Kansas City this summer! We have teamed up with Visit KC to giveaway an amazing package valued at $700!!
- 4 tickets to the Kansas City Zoo
- 4 tickets to Legoland Discovery Center
- 4 tickets to Sea Life
- 4 tickets and parking to a Royals game
- $50 gift card to Country Club Plaza
- 1-night stay for a family of four at Hotel Indigo in downtown Kansas City
** A winner will be chosen and contacted via email on Tuesday, July 17.