Favorite Fall Books For Children to Embrace the Season Change
Each season I pull out books that tell stories about the seasons, holidays, and traditions that are coming up. Books are a great way to incorporate the changing seasons in our home while encouraging reading and have fun. The Fall season is my favorite time of year. You better believe we have a ton of favorite fall books on our bookshelf.
The majority of our favorite books include picture books with simple text that talk about falling leaves and more. These children’s books are perfect for young children. Elementary school teachers who are creating lesson plans around the season can use this book list too! I love to pick a book each week and plan a fun snack, activity, or craft to go along. For example, We Are Going on A Leaf Hunt, listed below, would be perfect to read right before a nature walk in your local park.
Favorite Fall Books for Children
- Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn by Kenard Pak – This is a great book to introduce the new season. Discuss the differences and what changes happen between summer and Autumn.
- It’s Fall by Linda Glaser – A fun book to embrace the Autumn season.
- Leaf Jumpers by Carole Gerber – There are tons of arts and crafts that involve leaves, but this is the perfect book to embrace jumping in the leaves!
- Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert – Travel along with Leaf Man. No one knows where he is going to go!
- Leaves by David Ezra Stein – A charming board book for your first-time reader.
- One Leaf, Two Leaves, Count with Me by John Micklos Jr. – This is a gorgeous book to help your child count through the seasons.
- The Busy Little Squirrel by Nancy Tafuri – This is a board book for your littlest reader that includes beautiful illustrations that will capture their interest.
- The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger – This book has a hidden meaning a reminder for all ages.
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves by Lucille Colandro – We are huge fans of the ‘Old Lady’ series and this book is a lot of fun for all ages.
- We’re Going on a Leaf Hunt by Steve Metzger – As the fall leaves change colors, shapes, and sizes this is a beautiful book to embrace the colorful leaves of the season. A fun twist on the bear hunt classic!