Why Reading is Important – and How to Fit It In
Reading is important and beneficial for children of all ages – from birth to adulthood! Not only does reading help develop language skills and prepare for academic success, but it also helps children develop social skills and emotional intelligence. Reading teaches children about the world around them, sparking their imaginations and building their confidence and curiosity.
At New Horizon Academy, literacy is a main component of our research-based curriculum for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and school-age children. Visit the New Horizon Academy website for more information on our learning programs, and our commitment to providing the highest quality care and education for all children in our care!
The Impact of Reading
Here are just a few of the positive benefits of reading for babies and young children.
- Language Development: Reading helps children expand their vocabulary and learn to use language in different ways.
- Social Skills: When children read books featuring characters who are facing social or interpersonal challenges, they learn how to deal with similar situations in their own lives.
- Future Academic Success: Reading helps children develop skills that help them succeed in a variety of academic subjects.
- Love of Learning: When children read or are read to, they are exposed to new people, places, things, and events. This creates enthusiasm and excitement about reading – and learning – that can last for life.
Reading Tips for Busy Families
We know that today’s families are busier than ever, and caregivers may not have the time they’d like to devote to reading. Here are a few of our favorite tips on how to fit reading into your everyday routine.
- Carry Books Wherever You Go: Create an on-the-go book bag filled with books, activity booklets, and writing materials. Keep it in the car or carry it with you when you leave the house. Your child will be able to read when waiting at the doctor’s office, on the sidelines of a sibling’s game, or on car trips.
- Read Environmental Print: For many emerging readers, environmental print – the print that appears on signs, labels, and logos – helps bridge the connection between letters and words. Point out the printed words you see at home or on the go.
- Listen To a Podcast or Audiobook: Listening to words, sentences, and phrases will help your child develop and understand language.
- Be a Role Model: Make sure your child sees you read! This will reinforce the importance of reading, and help your child understand reading as a fun activity.
Enter to Win a Book Nook!
To help foster the love of reading, New Horizon Academy is giving away a book nook prize pack. Enter to win a tent, cozy blanket, stuffed animal, and a few of our daycare teachers’ favorite books!
Now enrolling in Iowa!
New Horizon Academy is enrolling infants, toddlers, and preschoolers at all Iowa schools! Schedule a tour to learn more about our highly trained teachers, safe and secure facilities, and commitment to providing the highest quality care. Contact a New Horizon Academy childcare center near you today!