Monster Jam in Des Moines, Iowa
Backflips, donuts, wheelies, and so much more… the Monster Jam tour returns to Wells Fargo Arena on April 15 -16, 2023! Another exciting season is underway for Monster Jam with a stop in Des Moines on the way to Monster Jam World Finals in Nashville this July. Read below for an event overview and tips, then make sure to get your tickets for breathtaking, big-air action this spring!
Monster Trucks 101
- Monster Jam trucks are massive trucks with massive wheels! An astounding 10.5 feet tall, 12.5 feet wide, and 17 feet long, weighing around 12,000 pounds!
- Monster Jam engines generate 1,500 horsepower!
- The big trademark BKT tires are 66 inches in diameter and 43 inches wide, inflated to 23 psi pressure, and (with the wheel) weigh 645 pounds each!
- Each individual truck body is custom-built and made of fiberglass.
- From show to show, trucks are transported in specially equipped trailers, which may include spare parts and can hold as many as two trucks.
What to Expect at Monster Jam
- Racing Competition – in a bracketed competition, trucks race head-to-head around the course with the winner advancing to the next round until only two trucks remain in a final battle to determine a racing champion.
- Skills Challenge – in the skills challenge, drivers will have a couple of chances to perform their best stunt. This is an excellent chance to see wheelies, stoppies, and moonwalks!
- Donut Competition – in the donut competition, Monster Trucks perform donuts and rotations as quickly as possible. Not all Monster Jam performances include a donut competition, but the Des Moines show did in 2022 so it is anticipated there will be one again.
- Freestyle Competition – the exhilarating freestyle competition showcases racers performing their finest tricks and stunts for a selected time. Personally, this is my favorite part of the event and is where some of the most exciting action happens including backflips in some of the bigger arenas!
- For the Skills Challenge, Donut Competition, and Freestyle Competition, fans in the stands are invited to participate in judging the competition. Live voting throughout the event allows fans to get in on the action and rate the truck performances. Using a mobile device, fans simply log onto JudgesZone.com. A code for the venue will be announced during the event and fans can easily slide the rating meter up or down to score the run. The highest scores at the end of the competition win. Make sure you cheer on your favorite trucks loudly!
Tips for Attending Monster Jam
- Ear protection! The thunderous roar of the trucks at top speeds makes some kind of ear protection/ear plugs/headphones essential. Children definitely need them, and adults will appreciate having them too. Ear protection can often be purchased onsite, but you can save a few bucks by bringing in your own.
- Plan your arrival. Wells Fargo is accessible via three entrances, but crowds can quickly become hectic. For family-oriented events, always make sure to allow time for small legs to get from the parking spot to the arena, find seats, use restrooms, order concessions, and visit the souvenir stand.
- Monster Jam productions average two hours, including a 15–20 minute halftime.
- Wells Fargo Arena has a clear bag policy with a maximum size of 12”x6”x12”. Exceptions may be made for medical, family, or childcare bags. Wells Fargo Arena is also a primarily cashless facility.
Cheer on your Favorite Drivers!
- Grave Digger – driven by Krysten Anderson
- Megalodon – driven by Ashley Sanford
- El Toro Loco – driven by Elvis Lainez
- Monster Mutt Dalmatian – driven by Bailey Shea
- Velociraptor – driven by David Olfert
- Earth Shaker – driven by Tristan England
- Raminator – driven by Mark Hall
- Rammunition – driven by Kurt Kraehmer
Monster Jam Des Moines Tickets
Monster Jam tickets are available through HyVeeTix.com. All attendees age 2 and older are required to have a ticket. The trucks will perform at 1 pm and 7 pm on Saturday, April 15, and again at 1 pm on Sunday, April 16 at the Iowa Events Center. Tickets start at $23.
Monster Jam® Pit Party
For the fans who want to get up close and personal with the trucks before the show, check out the Monster Jam Pit Party. See the trucks,
meet the drivers, get some autographs, and enjoy some of the new family-friendly activities in 2023 including a Play Area, inflatable slides, remote control truck course, and more. Activities may vary by location. Purchase your pit party tickets and join in the action from 10:30 a.m. to Noon Saturday or Sunday!
Find more exciting facts, fan information, videos, and more at MonsterJam.com. Make sure you have your tickets to join the party and come watch big trucks fly, soar, and so much more during an adrenaline-charged weekend.
Follow Monster Jam™ on Social Media