Listening to music outdoors, in the Summer time is THE best! Isn’t it? There are some great opportunities to get out and listen to music, in Central Iowa. If you have any other outdoor music events to add, make sure you let me know!
Jasper Winery Concert Series
2400 George Flagg Parkway, Des Moines. Just West of Gray’s Lake.
Every Thursday evening 6 pm – 9 pm.
Admission is FREE!
All shows outside. Weather permitting. Otherwise in the outdoor party tent.
Bring blankets and lawn chairs for outside seating, Play lawn games including bags and bocce ball. Burgers and brats will be available from the grill. Alcoholic drinks must be purchased on-site (Jasper Winery’s wine is AWESOME!). Sometimes Gusto makes an appearance AND Chocolaterie Stam with delish gelato!
- May 12- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- May 19- Adé & The Soul Brothers
- May 26- Brother Trucker
- June 2- Malcolm Wells and the Two-Timers
- June 9- Decoy
- June 16- Damon Dotson Band
- June 23- The Nadas
- June 30- The Maytags
- July 7- Dueling Guitars feat. Brian Congdon
- July 14- Dazy Head Mazy
- July 21- Pianopalooza Band
- July 28- Flipside
- August 4- Final Mix
Des Moines: First Fridays
During the same months, enjoy First Fridays at the Art Center with some of the best musicians in town. Complimentary light-bites, cash bar, and world-class art and music. 5 pm – 8 pm / Art Center courtyard. Admission: $5 / Members: FREE!
- July 1st: Soul Searchers
- August 5th: John Krantz Quartet
- September 2nd: Gabriel Espinosa and Ashanti
Concerts begin at 7 pm on the west Capitol grounds. FREE admission.
FREE parking is availablein the adjacent state lots. Rain location: Harmon Fine Arts Center, Drake University, 25th &
- June 12: Des Moines Metro Band/Metro Big Band
- June 19: Des Moines Metro Band/Metro Big Band
- June 26: Des Moines Metro Band/Metro Big Band
- July 3: Des Moines Metro Band/Metro Big Band
- July 10: Metro Dixie Land Combo
- July 17: Iowa Veteran’s Band
Friday at the Fountains: West Des Moines
Located at West Glen Towncenter. FREE live music starting at 6:30 pm!
- June 10: King of Tramps
- June 24: Ryne Doughty
- July 8: Chad Elliott
- July 22: Chad Elliott Blues Show
- August 12: The Pale Moons
- August 26: Chad Elliott w/ Tommy Lewis
Music in the Junction
Music in the Junction is held every Thursday in Valley Junction! Enjoy the farmers’ market while listening to live music from 5:30 to 8:00 pm.
- May 19: North of Grand
- May 26: Toaster
- June 2: Decoy
- June 9: Sumpin’ Doo
- June 16: Monday Mourners
- June 23: Tony Valdez Large Band
- June 30: Brother Trucker
- July 7: Comfort Zone
- July 14: Bob Dorr and the Blue Band
- July 21: Abby Normal
- July 28: Final Mix
- August 4: Randy Burk and the Prisoners
- August 11: Flipside
- August 18: Gimikk
- August 25: Plastic Apartment
- September 1: The Tighten Up
Concerts begin at 7:00 pm, unless otherwise noted. Bring a lawn chair, bring your friends, and we’ll see you at the park! Roosevelt Park is an alcohol- and tobacco-free park, in compliance with City of Ames ordinances.
- June 5 – Sena Ehrhardt [Blues/rock]
- June 12 – Atchison, Bruna, & Love [Folk Rock]
- June 19 – SIRES [Roots rock]
- June 26 – Vinyl Vagabonds [R&B, blues]
- July 3 – Sean Huston with Elizabeth Zimmerman [Jazz Rock]
- July 10 – Stone Hands Revenge [Bluegrass]
- July 17 – Doctor Murdock [Indie Rock]
- July 24 – James Biehn [Blues/rock]
- July 31 – Abbie and the Sawyers [Folk]
- August 7 – Burnin’ Sensations Lite [Pop/Rock]
- August 14 – Laura Joy Trio [Acoustic Pop]
Located at Memorial Park in Indianola, live music will happen for three Friday’s in June! Music starts at 6 pm until 9 pm.
- June 3: Joshua Sinclair and Hollywood Burnout
- June 10: Rebyl Road
- June 24: Final Mix
Music in the Park: Windsor Heights
The 2016 Windsor Heights Music in the Park schedule has been set. Sponsored by the Windsor Heights Foundation, the 10 concert series in Colby Park begins Tuesday, June 7th. All of the concerts are free.
Music in the Park has been a Windsor Heights tradition. This year marks the 75th Anniversary of Windsor Heights and the 30th Anniversary of the Windsor Heights Foundation. “Music in the Park” celebrates these two milestones with some new elements, including the Gateway Cafe’ Food Truck featuring some of the Cafe’s most popular items as well as wine and beer service to compliment the music. Bring your family and invite your friends to unwind for a couple of hours on Tuesdays, 6-8pm, in Colby Park, Windsor Heights. Music begins at 7.
- June 7: Jason Walsmith
- June 14: Broken Keys
- June 21: Free Style
- June 28: Max Wellman
- July 12: Jimmy the Weasel
- July 19: The Pelicans
- July 26: Hold On
- August 2: Des Moines Community Band (National Night Out)
Friday Fest: Urbandale
We have a great band line up waiting for you to enjoy each week. Admission this year will only be $5 and includes 2 drink tickets. Bring your families as anyone 20 and under, will be admitted for free!!! We will offer a nice selection of canned and bottled products from Budweiser. The mug club is still available with individuals able to enjoy free keg beer in their Friday Fest mugs each week from 5:00 to 5:45 PM.
- May 20: POW
- May 27: Faculty Lounge
- June 3: Gimikk
- June 10: Storm Warning
- June 17: After Shock
- June 24: Standing Hampton
- July 1: Faculty Lounge
- July 8: Left for Dead
- July 15: The Sons of Gladys Kravitz
- July 22: Flipside
- July 29: Burnin’ Sensations
- August 5: Final Mix Show Band
The Waukee Area Arts Council presents Sundays in Centennial sponsored by Stivers Ford Lincoln and Shottenkirk Chevrolet. Three free concerts will be presented Sundays starting July 10th (part of the Waukee Arts Festival) at 6:30 pm in Centennial Park in Waukee. Bring your picnics, lawn chairs and blankets.
- July 10 – The Maytags
- July 24 – Randy Burk and the Prisoners
- July 31 – Jimmy the Weasel
Historic Camp Dodge Pool Complex
7105 NW 70th Avenue, Johnston
The Adjutant General of Iowa, Maj. Gen. Tim Orr, cordially invites you to Camp Dodge for the 2016 Adjutant General’s Summer Concert Series at the historic Camp Dodge pool complex, 7105 NW 70th Avenue, Johnston. This is the sixth consecutive season for the concert series, which is free and open to the public. Five concerts will be held on Thursday evenings in May and June, beginning May 26 and ending June 30. Concerts start at 7 p.m.
Concessions will be available and coolers, picnic baskets and tailgating are also welcome. Please bring your lawn chairs. In the event of inclement weather, check the Iowa National Guard Facebook page at www.facebook.com/IowaNationalGuard for concert status or follow us on Twitter @IowaNatGuard. In the event of cancellation due to inclement weather, we will do everything possible to reschedule the concert.
- May 26 – Jason Walsmith and Friends – Americana, Alternative Country, and Indie rock. Summer Kickoff Block Party – come tailgate and bring your neighbors!
- June 2 – The Blue Band – Original and cover Blues, soul, rockabilly and R & B grooves -Classic car and motorcycle show – this concert will also include a classic car andmotorcycle show starting at 4:30 p.m. with reserved parking for participating vehicles –
- June 9 – Brother Trucker – Roots/Americana/Alternative Country
- June 16 – No concert – Enjoy Johnston Green Days June 16-19
- June 23 – Abby Normal Band – Classic ‘80s rock
- June 30 – Sidewinder – Iowa National Guard’s 34th Army Band-pop and classic rock ensemble -Military Heritage Night – Wear your favorite Red, White and Blue!
Nightfall on the River
Located at the Simon Estes Amphitheater, Downtown.
Tickets vary in price for each show. Check here for prices and to order.
You may bring blankets & lawn chairs.
Do NOT bring outside drinks or food.
- May 20th – Brue Hornsby & The Noisemakers
- May 28th – Hairball
- June 3rd – Here Come The Mummies
- June 10th – The Nadas
- June 17th – Los Lobos
- June 19th – Brandi Carlile and Greg Holden
- June 24th – Aaron Watson and Brandy Clark
- June 24th – Michael Franti & Spearhead
- June 25th – Collective Soul
- June 29th – Umphrey’s McGee
- July 2nd – Josh Garrels
- August 3rd – Slightly Stoopid
- August 23rd – Gov’t Mule w/ Very Special Guest Blackberry Smoke
Ankeny Summer Sounds Concert Series
The Summer Sounds Concert Series is held on Thursday nights at the Band Shell in Wagner Park. Live music will run from 7 – 8:30pm. The concerts are free and open to the public; bring lawn chairs and blankets for seating.
- June 16: Nice Bangs
- June 23: Randy Burk and the Prisoners
- July 14: Faculty Lounge
- July 21: Ankeny Community Chorus and Band
Ankeny Unplugged is a four-week outdoor music festival series that is organized, managed, and operated by the Ankeny Junior Chamber (Jaycees) with assistance from the City of Ankeny. The Ankeny Jaycees is a 100% volunteer nonprofit community organization committed to building strong community leaders and members. This will be held on July 30th and will be $12.00 for advance purchase. It will be lots of fun for the entire family, including games, food and vendors!
Summerset Winery: Sunday Tunes
15101 Fairfax Street, Indianola
Every Sunday 2 pm – 5pm
$5 per person or $15 per car load. FREE to case club members.
Every Sunday, all year long wine and music lovers can enjoy some of the best bands in the Midwest right here in their own backyard (but you’ll feel like you’re on vacation!). Rain or shine the music goes on. Weather permitting, the bands will perform outside but in the winter or on rainy days we bring the music inside. Prairie Massage will also be on hand to help you relax!
- April 17 – Tony Valdez Duo
- April 24 – Boomerang
- May 1 – Gruve
- May 8 – Tony Valdez & the Rockets – Mother’s day – Mom’s get in free and receive a complimentary glass of Sangria. Ferinheit WOP
- May 15 – Fred Gazzo Band
- May 22 – Riddle Me This
- May 29 – Bobcats
- June 5 – Bob Pace & the Dangerous Band
- June 12 – Sons of Gladys Kravitz
- June 19 – Planet Passengers – Father’s Day – Dad’s get in free and receive and complimentary glass of beer
- June 26 – Abby Normal
- July 3 – Heath Alan Band
- July 10 – Slipstream
- July 17 – Flipside
- July 24 – Tony Valdez & the Large Band
- July 31 – Sister Sara
- August 7 – Sons of Gladys Kravitz
- August 14 – Final Mix
- August 21 – Brian Holtz Band
- August 28 – Tony Valdez & the Large Band
- September 4 – Fat Tuesday & the Greasefire Horns
- September 11 – Bob Pace & the Dangerous Band
- September 18 – Tony Valdez & the Rockets – Ferinheit WOP
- September 25 – Freestyle
- October 2 – Indianola Big Band and Jazz Ensemble
- October 9 – Hot Tamale & the Red Hots
- October 16 – Tony Valdez Duo
Located at Blank Park Zoo!
Every Wednesday 5:30 pm – 9 pm
Free for zoo member. Regular admission for non-members.
In the summer months, Blank Park Zoo welcomes guests (21+) to enjoy their Wednesday nights with music, food,brews, and of course, the exotic animals of the Zoo!
Riverview Island at 6th & Corning Riverview Island (or the old Riverview Amusement Park) is located at the end of Corning Ave, or west off of 6th Ave.
Every Friday night in June & July; 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Free and open to the public!
- 6/3 – Riddle Me This
- 6/10 – Faculty Lounge
- 6/17 – Standing Hampton
- 6/24 – Freestyle
- 7/1 – Kentucky Fried Mullet (Des Moines’ Best FIREWORKS – 10PM)
- 7/8 – Sons of Gladys Kravitz
- 7/15 – Final Mix with Del ‘The Saxman’ Jones
- 7/22 – TBD
- 7/29 – Boomerang Band
- July 4: Soya Vista Jazz Orchestra at Urbandale Lion’s Park, Urbandale
- July 7: Tanner Taylor Trio at Principal Park/Iowa Cubs, Des Moines
- July 8: The Jazz Page at the Bondurant Trailhead, Bondurant
- July 9: Jeff Miguel Quartet at Evelyn K. Davis Park, Des Moines
- July 10: Blake Shaw Quintet at City Park, Norwalk
- July 14: John Morgan Orchestra at Wesley Acres, Des Moines
- July 15: Parranderos Latin Combo at La Placita on East Grand and E. 15th, Des Moines
- July 16: Rose Colella ‘Cocktail’ at Waveland Golf Course, Des Moines
- July 17: Freddy Gazzo Band at Des Moines Public Library – Central, Des Moines
- July 21: Christopher’s Very Happy.Band. at DMACC West Campus, West Des
- July 22: Bryan Shumacker Quartet at Jester Park, Granger
- July 23: The Tighten Up at 6th Avenue and Washington, Des Moines
- July 24: Damani Phillips with Strings at Johnston Commons, Johnston
- July 28: Tina Haase Findlay w/ the Alex Murphy Jazz Trio of Chicago at Copper Creek Lake Park, Pleasant Hill
- July 29: High Society Big Band at Grand View University, Des Moines
- July 30: Whitney Marchelle; The Nola Jazz Band at Valley Junction, West Des Moines