The other night I was in the mood for some cookies. But alas, we didn’t have any in the house. So I decided to whip up a batch of homemade cookies. I opened up the fridge and found that we were out of butter and eggs. Hmmmm. What to do next? I had an Idea Emergency! Time to Brainstorm (sorry, I have been watching way too much Imagination Movers on the Disney Channel with the kids).
I searched the internet high and low and found a recipe that I could modify a bit to make a cookie without butter and eggs. What I came up with was a No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookie. The result? A DELICIOUS cookie! Both the kids loved them and even my wife (who in the past has tasted some of my experimental recipes that didn’t turn out so hot) liked them. So they are kid tested and mother approved! If you don’t have any coconut oil in the house I recommend buying some to have on hand. Check out all the uses for it.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- Combine the honey, coconut oil, cocoa powder and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the coconut oil is completely melted and the mixture is smooth and warm, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter and stir until completely melted, another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the oats. Cover with a lid for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the flax seed meal and wheat germ
- Use a round tablespoon to scoop, then level, the mixture. Use a small spatula to gently coax the cookie onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. The mixture will be a little delicate and sticky at this point. Lightly flatten the cookie with the spatula or your fingers. Repeat this process with the remaining cookie mixture, to make about 20 cookies total.
- Refrigerate the cookies on the baking sheet until they are completely chilled, at least 30 minutes. These cookies are best served very chilled.
Check out 28 Science-Verified Health Benefits of Coconut Oil from Well-Being Secrets