The annual Blank Children’s Hospital Festival of Trees and Lights is one classic event that kicks off the holiday season in Des Moines.
The Festival of Trees and Lights has been around since 1984 and each year families, friends and organizations are excited to begin their holiday season celebrating and supporting a great cause! Since its beginning the festival has raised over 7.1 million for many special programs and projects that support families and children with unique needs.
The festival is entirely supported by volunteers. Volunteers help during the event and all year round to help plan each festival. Are you interested in volunteering? Check here for more details!
Dates & Times
This year, the festival is being held November 25th through the 29th! Hours vary each day!
Nov. 25: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m; Nov. 26: 1 to 7 p.m.; Nov. 27: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Nov. 28: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Nov. 29: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Veteran’s Memorial Community Choice Credit Union Convention Center
833 5th Avenue, Des Moines
$5; ages 2 & younger are FREE
Proceeds benefit Child Life and the Advocacy and Outreach programs at Blank Children’s Hospital.
Raffle & Contest: NEW this year!
Have a chance to win a beautifully decorated tree from Meredith Corporation! This tree is currently on the front cover feature on the Christmas Ideas Magazine by Better Homes and Gardens.
Do you have a little budding artist? Children ages 3-18 can create their own original two or three dimensional art piece of Blank Children’s Hospital to be on display at the festival. Check out more details and examples here!
Events & Activities
- Lots and lots of beautifully decorated trees
- Neighborhood Forest where custom trees are decorated for a silent auction
- Special performances from children’s choirs, local music groups and dance teams.
- Scavenger hunt in the trees for the kiddos!
- A special children’s area with crafts & activities!
- Photos with Santa, a children’s train, shopping and more!
- Vote for your favorite decorated tree!
- Each child that brings a gently used or new book to be donated to the Book Forest will receive a FREE ticket for a children’s activity.
- Yummy food & bakery items!
Festival Family Flick
Friday, November 27th at 5 pm
Watch Elf on the big screen among the trees! There is no additional cost – just regular admission into the festival.
Check out when we visited a couple years ago!