Experience Des Moines while Supporting Small Businesses
May is Small Business Month and while we should always be celebrating and supporting small businesses I invite you to make it a priority in the month of May. According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, more than half of Americans either own or work for a small business. That means more than half of Americans rely on your business and support to thrive and make a living.
This may sound like a lot of pressure, but growing up in the Des Moines area I have witnessed our communities come together and rally for each other time and time again. Just recently I had a phone call with a business owner in the Twin Cities area. She enjoys visiting Des Moines with her family several times a year and every time they visit they are extremely impressed by the community’s love and support for small businesses. If someone traveling through our beautiful city notices this, then we are doing something right.
The Des Moines Metro area is filled with amazing businesses selling, offering services, and making a huge impact within our community. I am excited to share 10 fun ways you can continue to show your support for small businesses during the month of May.
10 Ways to Support Small Businesses in Des Moines
- Visit the Art Terrarium in Downtown Des Moines. When you walk into their shop you feel like you are walking into an oasis. Purchase a plant and pot it yourself in their Potting Bar. This is a fun outing for kids too! (106 11th St, Des Moines)
- Summer is just around the corner. Who doesn’t love an ice-cold sweet treat? Grab your favorite ice cream treat at Snookie’s Malt Shop in the Beaverdale area. (1810 Beaver Ave, Des Moines)
- Create a candle at the Candle Bar DSM in Valley Junction. This is a unique, hands-on experience that you can keep for yourself or a gift for someone you love. (130 5th Street, West Des Moines)
- If you are looking for some self-care head to Trixie’s Salon & Spa Uptown for a facial and a new hairstyle. Do not leave without grabbing a cute gift from their small boutique shop. (4118 University Ave, Des Moines)
- Take time to relax and take one of many classes offered at Sacred Health located in the heart of Des Moines. (4123 University Avenue, Des Moines)
- Grab the kids or your best friend and get crafty at Artfull located in Valley West Mall. They have everything to offer from pre-made kits, classes, and more. (1551 Valley West Dr, Ste 162, West Des Moines)
- Enjoy fun cocktails, delicious eats, and fun games at Iowa’s largest patio Smashpark Des Moines. One of our places to play as a family on a sunny day! (6625 Coachlight Dr, West Des Moines)
- Support a local independent bookstore and catch a storytime with Storyhouse Bookpub. Storyhouse Bookpub does not have a set location, but you will find her traveling around doing fun events around Des Moines. Keep tabs on events and more at https://storyhousebookpub.com/
- Our furry friends can support small businesses too, right? Kinship Brewing not only offers great brews and tasty pizzas, but they also offer a dog park in Waukee. (255 NE Sunrise Dr, Waukee)
- The Blank Park Zoo is a great place all year round but right now they are offering Wild Night Lights a visually stunning light display. You will want to visit soon because it ends May 31st. (7401 SW 9th St, Des Moines)