EMC Park in Downtown Des Moines
There is a new park in the heart of downtown Des Moines, EMC Park. The new downtown park is located where the historic Younkers building once stood. The new EMC downtown park is a perfect little oasis that those who live or work in the big city can get to within a 10-minute walk. Take a look at all the fun you can have.
This pocket park is located at 701 Walnut Street, Des Moines, IA 50309 near the Greater Des Moines Partnership building.
Basic Park Details
Type: Places to play
Playground: No, climbing structures
Water: A drinking fountain is available
Official Website: This park is maintained by the city of Des Moines and the Des Moines Parks and Recreation Department. https://www.dsm.city/business_detail_T6_R460.php
- Half-court basketball
- Cushioned play area underneath the interactive sculptural elements
- Bags court (bring the bags)
- Flower beds
- City’s first pickleball court
- Ping-pong table
- Pet relief area for your favorite four-legged friends
- Bike racks
- LED lighting
- Emergency call box
- Swinging benches
Our Personal Experience
The kids had a ton of fun climbing all over the sculptural elements. As a longtime resident of Des Moines, it is wonderful to see such beautiful, community space in the downtown area. Who knew Des Moines would have a neighborhood downtown park?
Some tips before you go:
- When we arrived we did not have any problems with parking. There are some spots that do not have meters.
- There are a ton of options to play games, but make sure you bring the supplies. There was a checkerboard, ping pong, pickleball, and more.