The Science Center of Iowa, Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, World Food Prize Hall of Laureates, and Riverwalk Hub are teaming up to create an awesome Downtown Earth Day Celebration!
This is a great way to get the family together to learn more about our environment. Grab your bikes and bike on the trail to each participating location! Checkout all the details:
Science Center of Iowa Activities include:
- ADMISSION IS FREE!
- Ride a free pedi-cab along the route.
- Park your bike in our secure bike-valet space.
- Make a pollinator pod you can plant.
- Fold an origami butterfly.
- Show your bike helmet or a bus stub on Saturday, April 23, for $1 off a documentary IMAX film
- At 11:00 am, retired NASA astronaut Clayton Anderson will deliver a keynote speech and sign books after his presentation!
Community partners include (more to come!):
- Iowa Waste Exchange
- National Weather Service
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Toyota of Des Moines
- Green Iowa
- Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge
- U.S. Green Building Council
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden Activities include:
- ADMISSION IS FREE!
- Interact with local organizations, including Brenton Arboretum, Living History Farms, Urban Ambassadors, Des Moines Herb Study Group, Global Greens, Metro Waste Authority, Plant Sync and Sierra Club
- Participate in a collective art project using botanical and natural materials
- See good bug/bad bug demonstrations from the Botanical Garden horticultural staff
- Make a recycled take-home activity
- Explore the outdoor gardens and the Iowa Bonsai Association spring bonsai show
World Food Prize Hall of Laureates Activities include:
- ADMISSION & TOURS ARE FREE!
- Open 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Tour the LEED-certified Hall of Laureates, one of only a handful of buildings in the entire country that both is on the National Register of Historic Places and has earned the distinction of LEED Platinum certification – To reach LEED Platinum , the building must meet standards in six different categories: Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, Energy and Atmosphere, Materials and Resources, Indoor Environmental Quality and Innovation in Design.
- Learn about river conservation with Iowa Rivers Revival.
- Grab a refreshment overlooking the Des Moines River – Downtown Earth Day Tour participants can get a large coffee for the price of a small on Saturday, April 23!