A favorite Des Moines Earth Day celebration! Downtown Earth Day is a great way to experience Downtown Des Moines and celebrate Earth Day all at the same time. This year, the Science Center of Iowa, Iowa Rivers Revival at The Riverwalk Hub and the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, will be involved.
Starting at 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. you can enjoy free admission into the Science Center of Iowa and the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden thanks to support from The Principal. Start at the Science Center of Iowa, then walk or bike to the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden along The Riverwalk Hub. Stop at The Riverwalk Hub and learn about conservation with Iowa Rivers Revival.
Below is a list of fun activities each location is offering on Earth Day:
Science Center of Iowa
- Share, trade and display your best finds from nature in the Collectors’ Corner mini exhibit.
- Explore the Wild Music exhibit. It will not be at the Science Center much longer!
- Interact with local conservation organizations.
- Free bicycle valet
Iowa Rivers Revival at The Riverwalk Hub
- Enjoy beautiful views of the Des Moines River
- Learn about river conservation and dam migration
- The Iowa Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Law and Policy Center will be on hand to talk to you and answer your questions.
- Grab lunch or a snack at the Riverwalk Hub Trellis Café
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
- Explore botanical collections from around the world indoors and outdoors
- Make a take-home pollinator plant
- Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge, Polk County Conservation and Metro Waste Authority will be on hand to chat and answer your questions.