Choosing the Right Child Care Program for Your Family
Most parents know choosing the right child care is one of the most challenging decisions you will make for you and your child. In the first years, a child’s life experience is critical to shaping future health and development. It is important to understand that high-quality child care and education in the early stages of your child’s life will make a positive impact on your child. Making that decision now can help your child gain the skills needed to succeed in life.
To help you make the best decision, here are some key indicators that have been identified by the best researchers on what to look for and ask about when considering a safe, healthy, nurturing learning environment for your child.
Health and Safety
- Children are supervised continuously.
- Policies and procedures are in place to keep everyone safe (security, handwashing, medication policy, etc.)
- Meals and snacks are healthy and nutritious.
- Classrooms are spacious, colorful, and engaging.
- The schools are clean, safe, and hazard-free.
- Teachers are experienced in caring for children and have an early childhood credential or higher degree.
- Teachers receive ongoing professional development and training.
- The school has long-term staff and teachers employed.
- Teachers are affectionate, responsive, and sensitive to children.
- The school has an established policy or philosophy on guidance and discipline.
- Families are welcome and encouraged to visit and participate in activities.
- Teachers communicate with families through an app to share information and photos.
- Programs consist of daily or weekly lesson plans, including dramatic play, music, outdoor play, reading, science, technology, engineering, art, and math.
- The curriculum targets physical, cognitive, emotional, social, and language development.
- There is a precise balance of child- and teacher-directed activities.
- The curriculum includes an evaluation of the child’s development.
- Parent-teacher conferences are offered.
- Plans are shared with parents on the child’s educational development and progress.
Licensing and Accreditation
- The school has a good reputation within the community.
- The school meets additional state licensing requirements.
- The school has achieved accreditation by the National Association for the Education of Young Children
Overall, having a good feeling about where you will be taking your child relies on your instinct. Even with all the tours and additional information, in the end, it all comes down to you knowing what is best for you, your child, and your family.
New Horizon Academy operates early education and child care programs in your area! To learn more visit us online at https://newhorizonacademy.net/