Listening to music outdoors, in the Summer time is THE best! Isn’t it? There are some great opportunities to get out and listen to music, in Central Iowa. If you have any other outdoor music events to add, make sure you let me know!
Jasper Winery Concert Series
2400 George Flagg Parkway, Des Moines. Just West of Gray’s Lake.
Every Thursday evening 6 pm – 9 pm.
Admission is FREE!
All shows outside. Weather permitting. Otherwise in the outdoor party tent.
Bring blankets and lawn chairs for outside seating, Play lawn games including bags and bocce ball. Burgers and brats will be available from the grill. Alcoholic drinks must be purchased on-site (Jasper Winery’s wine is AWESOME!). Sometimes Gusto makes an appearance AND Chocolaterie Stam with delish gelato!
- May 14 – Boomerang
- May 21 – Brother Trucker
- May 28 – Decoy
- June 4 – Mr. Baber’s Neighbors
- June 11 – Euforquestra
- June 18 – The Nadas
- June 25 – The Maytags
- July 2 – The Workshy
- July 9 – Dueling Guitars feat. Brian Congdon
- July 16 – Flipside
- July 23 – Pianopalooza Band
- July 30 – Dazy Head Mazy
- August 6 – Final Mix
Camp Dodge Concert Series
Historic Camp Dodge Pool Complex; 7105 NW 70th Avenue, Johnston
This is the fifth consecutive season for the concert series, which is free and open to the public. Five concerts will be held on Thursday evenings in May and June, beginning May 21 and ending June 25. Concerts start at 7 p.m.
Concessions will be available and coolers, picnic baskets and tailgating are also welcome. Please bring your lawn chairs. In the event of inclement weather, concerts will be rescheduled, if possible.
- May 21 – Christopher the Conquered-jazz-infused Indie rock. Summer Kickoff Block Party-come tailgate and bring your neighbors!
- May 28 – Sons of Gladys Kravitz- ‘60s and‘70s progressive classic rock and B-side favorites -Classic car and motorcycle show-this concert will also include a classic car and motorcycle show starting at 4:30 p.m. with reserved parking for participating vehicles
- June 4 – Brother Trucker-Roots/Americana/Alt. Country Roots Iowa Night-this concert will also include an Arts Fair and Farmers Market starting at 4 p.m.
- June 11 – Tony Valdez Large Band-Latin/classic rock. Patriot Night-wear your favorite Red, White and Blue!
- June 25 – Sidewinder-Iowa National Guard’s 34th Army Band-pop and classic rock ensemble -Military Heritage Night.
Nightfall on the River
Located at the Simon Estes Amphitheater, Downtown.
Tickets vary in price for each show. Check here for prices and to order.
You may bring blankets & lawn chairs.
Do NOT bring outside drinks or food.
- June 5th – The Nadas
- June 11th – Michael Franti & Spearhead
- June 17th – Los Lonely Boys
- June 26th – Umphreys McGee
- July 15th – Lake Street Drive
- July 17th – Grace Potter
- July 23rd – The Ting Tings
- July 25th – Blackberry Smoke
- August 5th – Eric Hutchinson
- August 27th – Slightly Stoopid
- August 28th – Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Summerset Winery: Sunday Tunes
15101 Fairfax Street, Indianola
Every Sunday 3 pm – 6 pm
$5 per person or $15 per car load. FREE to case club members.
Every Sunday, all year long wine and music lovers can enjoy some of the best bands in the Midwest right here in their own backyard (but you’ll feel like you’re on vacation!). Rain or shine the music goes on. Weather permitting, the bands will perform outside but in the winter or on rainy days we bring the music inside. Prairie Massage will also be on hand to help you relax!
- May 31 – Sons of Gladys Kravitz
- June 7 – Flipside
- June 14 – Boomerang
- June 21 – Tony & The Large Band – FATHER’S DAY – Free entry for Dad’s, complimentary glass of Sangria or beer and sign up to win a Father’s Day gift basket. Ferinheit Wood Oven Pizza will have fresh pizza available!
- June 28 – Doghouse Daddies
- July 5 – Final Mix
- July 12 – Tony Valdez & The Retro Rockets
- July 19 – Bob Pace & the Dangerous Band
- July 26 – Slipstream
- August 2 – Opus Taylor
- August 9 – Abby Normal
- August 16 – Gruve – Ferinheit Wood Oven Pizza will have fresh pizza available!
- August 23 – Sons of Gladys Kravitz
- August 30 –Tony & The Large Band
- September 6 – Reverend Raven and the Chain Smokin’ Altar Boys
- September 13 – Tony Valdez Duo
- September 20 – Bob Pace & the Dangerous Band
- September 27 – Brian Holtz Band
- October 4 – Hot Tamale and the Red Hots
- October 11 – Tony Valdez Duo
- October 18 – Freestyle
- October 25 – Get Off My Lawn
- Nov 1 – Bob Pace & the Dangerous Band
Located at Blank Park Zoo!
Every Wednesday 5:30 pm – 9 pm
Free for zoo member. Regular admission for non-members.
In the summer months, Blank Park Zoo welcomes guests (21+) to enjoy their Wednesday nights with music, food,brews, and of course, the exotic animals of the Zoo!
- June 3- Home Opener featuring Jake McVey
- June 10- Strut Your Stripes featuring The Array
- June 17- Around the World featuring The Sheet
- June 24- Aloha To Summer featuring Slipstreem
- July 1- Red, White… featuring Gimikk
- July 8- & Blues! featuring Crankshaft & The Gear Grinders
- July 15- Iowa Brew Night featuring The New Mexicos
- July 22- Christmas in July featuring Loose Neutral
- July 29- Tailgate featuring Plastic Apartment
- August 5- Spirit of Des Moines featuring Monkey, Monkey, Monkey
- August 12- Throwback Night featuring Toaster
- August 19 -Fan Favorite featuring Pianopalooza
- August 26- Zoo Brew Finale featuring Standing Hampton
Held on the former Clarkson School lot at 6th & Boston. Just a few blocks north of North High School.
Every Friday night in June & July; 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Free and open to the public!
- 6/5 – Standing Hampton
- 6/12- Brother Trucker
- 6/19 – Freestyle
- 6/26 – Decoy
- 7/3 – Backstage Boogie Band (Des Moines’ Best Fireworks – 10PM)
- 7/10 – Faculty Lounge
- 7/18 – Final Mix with Del ‘The Saxman’ Jones
- 7/24 – Riddle Me This
- 7/31 – The Sons of Gladys Kravitz