A Day in the Life of a Working Mom

A Day in the Life of a Working Mom

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, so here’s a look at a working mom’s grass.

6:20 AM – alarm goes off. Gads. I just want 10 more minutes. Snooze button.

6:30 AM – drag my butt out of bed. Grumble a grumpy good morning to Lance. Get ready for work and see if the clothes I picked out the night before are still appealing. Even if they aren’t, I convince myself it’s fine. Unless it’s really not fine. Then I proceed to stand in front of my closet and work out what I should wear. Which at 6:30 AM, is as bad as me trying to do long division in my head.

6:55 AM – start waking up Lucan and mumble a pray of thanks when he doesn’t throw a fit about being taken out of his soft, warm pajamas.

7:00 AM – wrestle Lucan to the ground and try and force his antibiotics down. Bribe with dove chocolate. Mission accomplished.

7:10 AM – wave goodbye to Lance and Lucan off and pray that Lucan doesn’t cry during drop-off this morning. Send up a prayer of thanksgiving that it’s Tues and Lance has drop-off today and not me.
Throw random diced vegetables, chicken and spices into the Crockpot for supper. Cross my fingers and hope that it turns out.

7:22 AM – BOLT out of the house for work. Tell my car not to tell Lance that I didn’t warm her up this morning. It’s a good thing it takes me less than 10 minutes to get to work, but even so, I’m not going to be at my desk by 7:30.

7:32 AM – sneak into my cube, but no one really cares the exact time I roll into work. These feelings of guilt are leftover from my last lovely boss. Check my email and see what’s on the docket for the day.
8:00 AM – run down three flights of stairs to toast my toast and make myself a bohemith mug of coffee. Now I’m a human being.

8:15 AM – settle into going about my day.

10:39 AM – momentarily panic when I hear my phone vibrating with a text and pray it’s not daycare sending Lucan home. Start breathing again when I realize it’s a text from Culvers with some asinine promotion. Contemplate unsubscribing from their texts but remember how much I love their custard. Stupid Culvers.

Noon – lunch. FINALLY. Run a couple of “errands”/wander aimlessly through Target and keep telling myself that I’m going to start working out again over lunch. Really soon.

1:10 PM – say a short prayer that Lucan takes a good nap at daycare. Because their is nothing like waiting all day to play with your child only to find him exhausted and crabby from not napping at daycare. 

2:32 PM – afternoon slump. Man, I’m really dragging … maybe I need a Diet Cherry Coke

4:35 PM- leisurely walk to the parking lot to my car and inhale deeply.

4:45 PM – arrive home and do a few chores before I run to daycare to pick-up Lu.

5:10 PM – pick-up Lu and ask how his day went. One-hour nap. AGAIN. Make the realization that tonight will be a doozie.

5:30 PM – Lucan is crazy whiny. Give him a hug and a banana to temporarily pacify him. Banana seems to do the trick, not mommy hugs. 

5:38 PM – Lance walks in and I breathe a sigh of relief. Someone else can try and reason with our crazy monkey of a toddler. 

6:00 PM – We all sit down for supper. Lucan refuses to eat everything except the carrots out of the soup. Everything else he throws on the floor. Whatever. Force Lucan to take some more amoxicillin. Give him more chocolate. Make a mental note to buy more Dove Promises because Lu has just finished my stash.

7:40 PM – BEDTIME for hysterical monkey man.

8:00 PM – watch a little TV and check menu plan for tomorrow to see if there’s anything I can prep tonight. Mushroom, beef and noodles. A leftover conglomerate: beef from leftover french dip sandwiches and mushrooms from smothered grilled chicken. Nothing that I can really prep tonight.

10:00 PM – shower, pick out clothes and set out lunch for myself. Read my Bible and Reading Lolita in Tehran in bed. Get in massive trouble when I spill a huge glass of water in the bed causing us to change sheets at 11:10 pm.Oppsie.

11:15 PM – lights off, lots of grumbling about getting me a sippy cup for my bedside water.


Based on the highlights of my day – whose grass is greener now? The working mom? Or the stay at home mom?

Erin Huiatt

Erin is a reliable resource and stepping stone for women and families to find support and make connections within our community. She wants families to feel confident to reach out and ask for help and advice to get pointed in the right direction. She enjoys traveling and exploring with her two children in tow!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *