I’m always left slightly befuddled when I’m asked to bring something to a picnic. I hate to always be bringing dessert and I’m picky about what sides I make. I like my sides to have some health benefit to them, whether that comes in the form of fruit or vegetable. I am not a mayonnaise-y kind of salad gal. Generally speaking, I find those type of macaroni salads to be sloppy and gloppy (rhyming intentional) and lacking in bold flavors. Macaroni salads are just kind of gross. Typically I avoid potato salad too. I find that potato salad and deviled eggs to be based on personal preference. I only like potato salad and deviled eggs the way my mom makes them. I’ve had too many bad encounters where I’ve found diced celery lurking in the murky mayonnaise depths. So I just stay away from them. Now that I’ve basically removed most mayonnaise based salads from my repertoire, that leaves only a few salads I like to eat at your average summer picnic. This Ramen Noodle Coleslaw is not your “typical” coleslaw. Big surprise, it has ZERO mayonnaise in it. But it’s delicious and I’ve always gotten rave reviews when I bring it with me. It’s easy to make and easier to consume.
Note: the last time I made this they were out of cabbage coleslaw mix at the grocery store. After a quick Google search, I determined that coleslaw mix consists of shredded cabbage and carrots. If you find yourself in a pinch, use one head of cabbage and roughly chop it up. Then add one shredded carrot – it’s easier and cheaper!
- 1 pkg cabbage slaw mix
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 pkg. Top Ramen noodles (chicken), crumbled
- 1½ c. chopped up broccoli
- ½ c. sliced almonds
- ½ c. shelled sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. white vinegar
- ½ c. canola oil
- Flavor packet from the Ramen noodles
- Mix all salad ingredients except the noodles and refrigerate a few hours. Mix dressing ingredients separately from the salad ingredients. Top with noodles and dressing before serving.
You May Also Like...
- Maintaining Friendships after Kiddos - April 2, 2014
- Music Together – Musical Class for Children and Grown-Ups - February 24, 2014
- Choosing a Daycare - November 15, 2013
- Conquering Consignment Sales - October 23, 2013
- Iowa Cubs Game with a Toddler. A Do or a Don’t? - August 22, 2013
- Eating Out – A Frugal Luxury - August 20, 2013
- What to do when Your Toddler Throws a Tantrum – Humor - August 15, 2013
- Homemade Taco Seasoning - August 7, 2013
- My Very Favorite Kale Salad - July 28, 2013
- 6 Ways to Encourage New Parents - July 23, 2013